The Power of Emotional Self-Care During Difficult Times
For the last several weeks, we have collectively been moving through intense emotional heaviness that sometimes feels unbearable.
During times like this, I believe Extreme Self-Care is an absolute necessity. Not a luxury, but a must.
During my mastermind call this last week, I shared with the group how I’ve stepped up my self-care routine so I can take care of my nervous system and my emotions. My colleagues were eager to learn exactly what I’m doing.
You may enjoy this super cute Self-Care Checklist.
Here is how I’m stepping up my self-care:
- Extend my morning routine to give myself plenty of time for processing my emotions. This means I allow extra time to write in my journal, pray, read my bible, and meditate. I don’t rush through any of this. I allow myself plenty of time to feel grounded and supported.
- I’ve decreased the number of hours for delivering client sessions. This means sometimes clients have to wait until the following week to book a session. But honestly, they’ve been okay with that because they are practicing self-care, too, and appreciate the time to just be and not have to show up as a client.
- Eating very healthy. No sugar. Limited carbs. Lots of protein and vegetables. Drinking LOTS of water.
- Not watching the news. Not looking for protesting or pandemic updates. I’m just staying in my little cocoon of positive vibration.
- Walking in nature. I live in the forest, so this is easy for me. But even if you live in the city, just getting outside for some fresh air and gazing at the sky can do wonders for your nervous system. I make it a point to get outside every day during shelter-in-place.
Lastly, but certainly not least…
- Focusing on my goals. Before the pandemic, I attended a vision board workshop and created my vision for the new year. I keep my vision board in my office where I can see it daily. Focusing on my goals keeps me in a state of optimism and hope for the future, which is also grounding for my nervous system.
You may also enjoy: Why Self-Care for Women Entrepreneurs is Crucial
The result is that even though our nation is in a state of civil unrest, I mostly feel grounded, hopeful, grateful and mentally clear. I still feel emotional, but I’m not overwhelmed or triggered by all these emotions, which is huge for someone who used to suffer from chronic anxiety and panic attacks.
If you’ve been feeling emotionally vulnerable or depleted lately, then I encourage you to create ways to give yourself some extra emotional support by doing things that make you feel loved and nurtured and that bring you back to a place of peace and serenity.
Get instant FREE access:
Journal Your Dream Life Workbook
Hello, I’m Patti! I’m a Certified Holistic Health Coach, Christian Life Coach, Ramsey Solutions Master Financial Coach, author, and former retirement planner. I’m also an award-winning author and prayer warrior, serving on the prayer team at my local church.
My mission is to provide inspiration, coaching, tools, and resources to help you create a life you love by sharing what I’ve learned from overcoming my health and wellness challenges. I want to inspire you to claim all the goodness God has for you, so you can live your most beautiful life – spirit, soul, and body.