One morning when I was having my quiet time, I remembered how I got started with the practice of journal writing. I’ve been journaling since high school. Mr. Wong, my favorite English teacher, gave us the assignment to keep a daily journal in class. I looked forward to my English class each day because of this form of freewriting. I immediately fell in love with writing for personal reflection and self-inquiry. It has since become one of my go-to tools for self-care and personal growth.
There are many ways to use journaling. For instance, you can write stream-of-consciousness. You do a sort of brain dump of all the thoughts swimming around in your head. No filtering is allowed. Just write down what comes to mind and keep the pen moving. It’s great for when you need clarity.
Another format I enjoy using is to respond to journal prompts designed to facilitate authentic, deep self-reflection around a specific topic or issue or about your life in general. This method is excellent for self-discovery, finding inspiration, brainstorming, thinking out of the box, and coming up with creative ideas.
What I’ve discovered over the years is that any method of journaling you use is personally empowering, healing, and cathartic.
Connect with your inner-strength
Try using these journal prompts to empower yourself and connect with your inner strength.
- Am I aware of how strong I truly am?
- In what areas of my life do I give away my power? How do I do this?
- How would my life be different if I fully and truly accepted myself?
- In what ways do I look to others for permission? Where in life do I need to give myself permission?
- When, specifically, could I look inside for the support and encouragement I need, rather than looking to others?
- When and where do I already challenge and stretch myself in life? In what ways can I acknowledge myself today?
Coaching assignment: Over the next week, select one of these questions to ponder each day. Then journal for 15-minutes to go deeper and see what comes up for you.
Here’s to your emotional healing and self-care!
Hello! I’m Patti Fagan! I’m an award-winning Certified Life & Business Coach, Ramsey Solutions Master Financial Coach, published author, and prayer warrior (I serve on the prayer team at my local church). I’m on a mission to inspire women–at any stage of life–to bust through their fears, transform their relationship with money, create retirement security, and own their worth! That’s true wealth!